At the outset I would like to thank everyone for inquiring about me.. lately I have been busy with my exams and was being lazy too.
To make up for that... here is one curry that one can make when you are lazy and dont want to cook up something big!
This curry was among the favorites for me and my sister. We fondly use to call this, Orange curry. This recipe is originally for fish curry and my mom used to substitute fish with vegetables whenever there was no fish available. You can make this with only mangoes or drumsticks, if both are not at hand. Enjoy this curry with rice!
1 small or medium Raw mango
10 frozen Drumstick
1 heaping cup fresh shredded Coconut (or frozen )
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
4 pearl Onions (tiny ones)
1/2 inch Ginger
1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
3-4 Curry leaves
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 dried Red chili
2 pearl onions
Few springs of curry leaves
- Heat a deep pan or kadai with raw mangoes, drumsticks and halved tomatoes with salt using enough water so the vegetables are submerged (don't add too much water or else the gravy will be too runny) and let it boil till the vegetables are cooked
- Grind all the ingredients under the to grind section using minimal water to get a smooth paste. (I used almost 1/4 cup water to grind the ingredients, you could add more)
- Add the coconut mixture to this cooked vegetables and stir if needed add more water for the gravy(I used 3/4- 1 cup of water...but it may vary)
- For tempering heat a small pan with oil and mustard seeds, when it starts spluttering split the dried red chili and add to the oil with sliced pearl onion and curry leaves
- When the onion turn brown add this to the gravy taste the curry and adjust the seasoning
Tastes better after couple of hours and even better the next day.