Thursday, November 09, 2006

Welcome Everybody

I remember prior to my wedding the only reason to enter the kitchen was to munch on something. I found in my dear hubby a fondness for cooking and a spirit of experimenting. I guessed some of it has brushed on me.
I am regular visitor of this site and seeing the magnificient creations of esteemed fellow bloggers , their love for food has inspired me to start my own food blog.I am still learning and know have a long way to go.
Hereby I present you my first recipe...a birthday cake!!!
I made this cake for my best friend's b'day last week. She loves black forest cake and so do I. This was the first time I attempted to bake a b'day cake and to my surprise it came out great. If i could do.. bet anyone could.

Daavat is on, and everyone is invited!!!


Chocolate Cake

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup boiling water



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by rubbing with butter, sprinkling with flour and tapping out extra. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix together with a wooden spoon then set aside. In small bowl combine eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat well with hand mixer. Slowly add boiling water and mix. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and fold and stir until smooth. Pour batter into pans, dividing evenly. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool the cake for an hour before removing it from the pan.


Cherry compote
Frozen cherries – 12 oz
Sugar -1/4 cups
Water - 1/4 cups
Cherry liquor/Red wine - 1 tbsp (I used the preservative used for bottled cherries)

Mix sugar and water, boil in a thick bottomed pan, with constant stirring, till the sugar dissolves and the syrup thickens. Add cherries and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain cherries on a sieve. Boil the liquid over medium heat until reduced by half.

You will start to see the bubbles getting larger as the concentration of sugar increases. At this point, turn down the temperature so it doesn't boil over or burn.

The syrup and cherries must be cooled before using it. Refrigerate till used.


Whipped cream
2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp milk

Beat cream till soft peaks form, sprinkle sugar, add the essence and beat till stiff peak consistency is achieved. Refrigerate till use.


Garnish
Chocolate shavings
Bottled Cherry

Assembling the cake

Slice the top off the cake so its flat and not raised.

Place one layer of cake on a serving plate.

Sprinkle with 4 to 5 tbsp of cherry syrup.

Divide your whipping cream in 3 parts for each layer and some for piping. Spoon one part on to the first cake layer .

Spread the Cherry compote on the whipped cream.

Carefully put the second layer of the cake on top.

Sprinkle 4 tbsp cherry syrup

Top with more whipped cream and spread it evenly on top.

Spread chocolate shavings on the top and sides.

Pipe whipped cream and top with cherries.

Refrigerate till ready to serve.


Note:
After dividing the whipped cream refrigerate the ones to be piped, till ready or else it will be runny by the time you're ready to pipe them.

I refrigerated it for 4 hrs. I made this cherry syrup first and then started with the cake so that you get time to cool your syrup.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sri,you did a good job!! I am sure your friend would have been very happy. It doesn't look to be your first cake..it looks professional!! Keep it up!!

archana said...

Wow,to make such a nice cake for a friend's birthday is the coolest thing to do. Lovely cake,hearty welcome to the fun world of food blogging.

Anonymous said...

Sri, what a lovely gesture to make a cake for your friend. Welcome to blogosphere and hope to see a lot of Daavats here!

Sri said...

Anon
Thanks. Yes she was.

Archana,Saffron
I was elated to see your comments.Thanks for stopping by, means a lot to me.

Krithika said...

Welcome to the world of food blogging. Cake looks delicious !

Sri said...

Krithika

Thanks a lot

Unknown said...

A warm welcome to the world of foodblogging. All the best to u.

The cake looks professional.

Sri said...

Hi Pushpa,
Thankyou for your wishes. I still have to try your tiramisu recipe. I know its been a long time but waiting for the right moment.

jayakarthik said...

Hi sri
this is first time i m into ur blog
lovely cake recipe
i m remembered of black forest cake i use to eat once in a week
now i m missing it:((
thanks for the recipe sri

Sri said...

Welcome to my blog jayakarthik.Thanks. Hey!!! you don't have to miss it anymore, you can try baking one. Its really simple and easy recipe. Try it and let me know,you will love it.

Anonymous said...

hi sri, My first time here and I must say you have a lovely blog going :) The cake is fabulous!!!! keep going girl :)

www.mykhazanaofrecipes.wordpress.com

Sri said...

Hi Rooma, Welcome to my blog. Thankyou.

Meena Kandlakuti said...

Welcome to the world of cooking.Its a lovely cake...even I love Black forest a lots.I can eat whole If could give whole:-))Thanks for sharing it...I would love to try this soon.And Happy new Year!

Sonia said...

Hi Sri,
I am new comer at ur blog.
Aaaahhhh....!!! what a cake snaps...!!! it's just mouth watering. I wonder u made it home itself. very gud job Sri...!!! I really appreciate ur effort!!! keep it up. bunch of thanks for recipe. I m going to try this recipe on upcoming b'day (next month)of my dear hubby. wish me best luck ;-)

Sonia said...

Hello,
R u still blogging ur recipes? I think...u have stopped blogging since ages. Hope u must b fine.
I love ur blog.
Hope to hear frm u.
Sonu:)