Sunday, February 11, 2007

Rice Pudding - Valentine Day Special

Happy Valentines Day.

I have been asked to share some of my memories. I am not very good at penning down my thoughts and feelings, so thought to avoid it.....mmmm! I love my hubby S a lot!!! As a young girl I used to dream about my perfect prince, he should be this, he should be that .....and found everything that I wanted in my prince to be, in my hubby and more than that. I feel I am the luckiest girl in this whole world (I bet most of us think the same way!)

He is always there for me, understands me, supports me, loves me….he completes me. I love the fact that he pampers me a lot ;) and sometimes I feel that I am competing with my daughter! :).

The part of the heart shaped pillow that you see in the last picture was my hubby’s first valentine gift to me, after marriage.

We both love rice pudding(pal payasam) a lot...and now even our little one loves it. I think it will taste better when serve in the earthen pot, I didn't have one. Have to get it next time I visit India.

This is my entry for Pooja's Theme of the week - Valentines Day.

Ingredients
½ cup Rice
5 cups Milk
8 tbsp Sugar
4 Cardamoms
Few raisins

For Garnish
Dried cranberries
Sliced Almonds
Cherry



Method
  • Rinse the rice under water and place into the pan
  • Add the half of the milk and stir. Cover and cook for 15-20 min until soft. Mash the the mixture for few minutes
  • Then add sugar and remaining milk. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes or until the rice is quite thick in consistency. If the kheer is to thick, add a little extra milk or water
  • Add cardamom and raisins. Remove from the heat and pour into serving dishes
  • Decorate with nuts and dried cranberries. Kheer can be served hot or cold

Note:

Tastes better the next day.

29 comments:

Lakshmik said...

Delicious. I like rice pudding. Thanks for the recipe.

FH said...

Yummy!! Earthen pot or not!! Where is the memorable moments of your life with the hubby as Pooja asked?Love to know!!:))

Seema Bhat said...

Rice pudding looks yummy and rich. loved the picture as well.
-
Seema

Bong Mom said...

Looks sooooooo lovely. You have decorated it so beautifully

Pooja said...

Hi Sri ,
Nice entry Indeed, and I must say your idea to add red color to it wiht cherry and canberry is wonderful ! it looks so nice with colors. Can you add something nice to recall from your memmory to share your experience wiht us?
thanks. I am really happy to get your entry.
-Pooja

Srikanth said...

hi, nice blog....
i would like to exchange links with you.

my blog is on science:
http://science-core.blogspot.com/

just comment on my blog, when you put up my link, and i'll reciprocate.

thanx.

Sia said...

i love it when its chilled:) actually all payasam tastes good when its chilled:)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!! Lovely decoration!!!! Nice hearts with cranberry :)

Gattina Cheung said...

Oh what a beautiful pudding!!! With all my favorite ingredients in it too!

Sri said...

Thanks Lakshmik

Ashaji I updated the post and shared some of my experience and moments.

Thankyou Seema,Sandeepa.

Thank you Pooja for hosting it...and i have updated my post and have shared my experience.

Thanks Srikanth.

I also love it chilled Supriya.

Thanks Rooma...will sending my post for MBP.

Thankyou Gattina.

Anonymous said...

OOHH!!!!! Did I miss reading your love story the first time?? or did you opdate it??!!!!!!
That was really sweet!!!!!
Competing with your daughter!!!! HHHMmMMMMMM.......... ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sri,

This rice pudding looks especially pretty with the dried cranberries! This is a dish I haven't made yet -- will try with your recipe.

On an unrelated note -- your chole (which I am drooling over every time I look at it) calls for dried amla. I cannot find this *anywhere* and I have numerous indian groceries around. Does it perhaps have another name? Or if I used kokum would that be a good substitute? Thanks! :)

Sri said...

No Rooma you didn't miss I updated that part after Asha and Pooja asked for it. :) Thanks

Hi Linda welcome to my blog...rice pudding is easy to prepare...you will love it.
Amla should be readily available in indian stores...just in case you not able to get dried amla just opt out...do not substitute it with kokum....if you want you can add a good pinch of Amchur powder(dried mango powder)which is also readily available at indian stores. Do let me know how it turned out. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful & eye catching! sri, Am I invited ? wouldn't want to miss out this Lovely valentine dish ,I would love to try this:)

Bong Mom said...

Hey missed you story earlier...sooooooo sweet :)

Unknown said...

That's a good looking payasam.Loved the write up about you and S...Happy v-day.....btw i was hearing titanic in your blog while reading this post...:)))

Prema Sundar said...

Nice to read abt u and ur better half. Pal payasam looks delicious and lovely presentation too.

Saleem Pothiwala said...

beautiful pictures and a delicious dish... thanks :-)

Mishmash ! said...

Beautiful and a different presentation for our own palpayasam :)

Happy V-Day:)

Shn

Menu Today said...

Hi Sri,
Colourful kheer. Lovely writeup.
Happy Valentines Day:-)

jacob said...

lovely recipe and pictures.

Sumitha said...

How was Valentines Sri?Great music too!

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey Sri,
I really liked the write up.Nice recipe too.Lovely picture.Well count see the red herart shaped pillow hmm...

J said...

Pal payasam presented differently! I love it!! Nice picture.:)

Pooja said...

Hi Sri,
thanks for adding your words about the love you share with hubby, and i am totally agree with your words, we all feel like we the luckiest:D.
I love the fact that he pampers me a lot - this is also true for me 100 % :)) .
thanks dear
-Pooja

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

Is it similar to Pherni ?

Sri said...

Oh yes dear you sure are invited. Do try them Lera and let me know how it turned out.

Thanks Sandeepa...was asked by Ashaji and Pooja. :))

Thanks Maheswari...I love that song too!

Thank you Prema & Daagh.

Yeah,shn... had to dressup our pal payasam for the valentine day special:)

MT ...Thanks Happy belated valentines to you too!

Thanks Jacob.

We had snow blizzard that day just didn't had much fun. What about you Sumi?

Thank you Sowmyaji, you won't see the whole thing just a part of it. :)

Thankyou Jyothsna.

Your welcom Pooja...and Thanks for hosting this wonderful event.

I have no idea what that is? Will have to google. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks Delicious thanks for the recipe

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)