In Gujarat khaman and dhokla are considered as two different recepies however in Maharastra I found they called khaman as khaman dhokla. I make dhoklas but khaman I never tried making at home until I came across Daagh's blog ARAD. Now I make khaman dhokla quite often.
Thank you once again Daagh for this Jhatphat Khaman Dhokla, true to its name...came out fluffy and soft everytime I made it. I made a itsy-bitsy variation by adding little sugar to the batter and used red chili powder instead of green chilies.
This is my entry for Rooma's MBP, theme - Finger Foods and Starters.
This is also my entry for Trupti's - Little Chefs in the Kitchen, event. My li'l one is about 2 yrs old so its too early for her to help me in the kithcen, so I did not have her show up in the snaps however I am sending in this kid friendly recipe for this event.
1 cup Besan (gram flour)
1 cup Water
3 tbsp Lemon juice
3 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Eno Fruit salt
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Sugar (plus 1tsp for batter)
1/3 tsp Red chili powder (Daagh calls for2 finely sliced green chilies )
- Mix togather besan, salt, 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp lemonjuice, red chili powder, sugar and water 1/2 cup or little less than that. The batter should not be runny, if so add little besan...should be kind of like idli batter
- Heat up the pressure cooker with some water to steam the khaman or you could do as Daagh suggests, in a large vessel, take a glass of water and put a wire mesh upside down in the vessel. Make sure the top of the mesh is above water level
- Grease a baking pan (you can also use cake pan).Now add Eno and mix well and pour this mixture right away in the greased plate/pan
- Steam it for 20 minutes. To check if its done, insert a toothpick or knife and if it comes out clean its done
- For tarka, heat remaining oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Mix together remaining 1/2 cup water, sugar and lemon juice and pour into the tarka. Boil it
- Take out dhokla and cut into pieces
- Pour the tarka mixture over it
- Garnish with corriander leaves and serve.....there you have it friends fluffy and soft khaman ever.