Monday, January 01, 2007

Fish Curry - Kerala Style

I was born in "Gods own country" in the calm and serene settings around the backwaters of rural kerala and have been fortunate to savor the delicacies of kerala cuisine where coconut is one of the key ingredients.

There are multiple ways of preparing fish curry in kerala and this is one of them. Fish curry with coconut is a simple and tasty dish which can be prepared in a jiffy without compromising your taste buds. Fish curry is served with rice and I have made an accompaniment of beans thoran.

This is my entry for this months JFI hosted by Ashwini.

Ingredients

For grinding
1 cup Coconut shredded
5-6 small Onions
3 dried Red chili
1/2 inch Ginger
1/2 tsp Corriander powder
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
few springs of Curry leaves
Salt to taste
Little water

For tempering
Oil
1/3 tsp mustard seeds
2 small Onions
2 whole Dried red chilies
few springs of Curry leaves

1 medium size Tilapia (you could use any fish of your choice! )
2 small Tomatoes
half raw Mango
3-4 Black kokum


Method

  • Soak kokum in a little warm water.
  • Grind all the itmes listed under "for grinding" section
  • Heat oil in kadai add mustard seeds as they splutter add the remaining items listed under "for tempering" section
  • Reduce the heat to medium and to it add the ground paste with little water
  • Add quartered tomatoes, cut mango pieces and kokum with its water. Check the seasoning and adjust it accordingly
  • When the gravy start to boil simmer and add fish to it
  • Cover and cook till the fish are done ....and there you have it friends fish curry with coconut, kerala style!!!!

19 comments:

Pooja said...

Hi Sri

Happy new Year.
May This New Year Bring Good Health, Happiness And Prosperity To You And Your near and Dear ones.

-Pooja

Bong Mom said...

yummy curry
Hey do you get Kokum in Indian stores here ? I have heard a lot about it.

Sri said...

Happy New year to you too pooja.

Thanks Sandeepa. Yes, you can get kokum from Indian stores.

Ashwini said...

That looks so yummy Sri. Thanks so much for participating in JFI. Happy new year to you

TNL said...

Hi Sri..Happy new year! Though I don't eat fish, it looks good! I can probably substitute something else with it! Thanks always for your nice comments!

Cheers,Trupti

Sri said...

Happy New Year to you too, Thank you for hosting the event.

Hi Trupti...yes you could omit the fish part and add more raw mangoes instead..sometimes when I am out of fish I prepare it that way too. I hope you like it.

FH said...

Hi Sri,wonderful to read bout Kerala.One day,we will visit there.Dish looks great and sounds delicious.
Happy 2007!:))

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Nice presentation.Happy new year.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Another great Kerala dish! I had better stock up on coconut!

archana said...

Send me a plateful, will you? Thank you for the recipe.

Mandira said...

Sri - the fish curry looks amazing. I love fish in any form and am always looking for new recipes. Thanks

Bong Mom said...

Haven't seen you for a while, what's up ?

TNL said...

Hope all's well..hope you will blog soon!

Trupti

Sri said...

Asha, Thankyou. Do visit kerala some day really a beautiful place.

Thankyou Soumya.

Thankyou Anita...:)

Yes sure Archana...will be my pleasure, will exchange this with your tiramisu cookies.

Thankyou Mandira...do try it.

Sandeepa, Trupti
Thankyou for inquiring will be posting soon.

SJ said...

Hi Sri,
Fish curry looks delicious! I'll try this with the tilapia fillets lying in my freezer. You dobn;t fry the fish at all before adding to the gravy?

Sri said...

Hi, SJ no, there is no need to fry the fish before adding to gravy..you just have add them when the gravy starts to bubble a little bit and then on medium heat let it cook...the fish will be done soon. I also made them with Tilapia. Let me know how it turned out. If you don't have any fish you could add drumsticks and raw mango instead...that's tasty too.

Zo-Ya said...

Just seeing the presentation made me so nostalgic.. If I am not wrong it is "kotta payar upperi" by the side?Missing my mom's simple yet tasty lunch!! hey just loved your blog..just love reading through it and seeing the pictures:) way to go gal!!

Unknown said...

hey, i luv kerala style fish so thnx for the recipe luks delicious. m gonna try it tonite!

Shannu said...

Thanks Sri...for this wonderful Recipe. I am no cook...and nothing comes out rt when I am cooking....But phew....am I glad that I tried this out. This definitely is one fabulous and easy recipe. Thanks a million!!!!!