Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thepla - Methi Paratha

Methi paratha is a versatile dish which can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, snack or even dinner.It tastes good as it is, however it tastes better with dahi(yoghurt) or chundho(sweet mango achar). These parathas are good for 3 days if kept outside, but won't last till then :). Methi leaves are available easily during winter and i hope you enjoy this dish too!!!

Ingredients
one small bunch of Methi leaves(mine came up to 1cup packed)
2 1/2 cup Wheat Flour (you can use bajra flour or can do 50/50)
2 tbsp Besan (Gram flour)
1 1/2 tbsp Oil
2 tbsp Til
1 tsbsp Ajwain
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Chili powder
1/3 tsp Turmeric
1/2 cup Yogurt
1 inch Ginger
3 large Garlic cloves
3 green chili
handful of Cilantro
Salt to taste

Method

  • Clean ,wash and chop methi leaves
  • Make a paste of ginger,garlic,green chili and cilantro leaves
  • Add the ginger paste,methi leaves, oil, til, ajwain, cumin seeds, chili powder, turmeric, yogurt to a mix of wheat flour and besan and knead to form a dough
  • Or you can put all the above ingredients into the food processor and knead a dough that would be easy too
  • If the dough is runny or too sticky add flour as needed or if its dry add yogurt or water
  • Make lemon size ball and then roll it as you do for chapatti, but not too thin.

  • Place the paratha on a heated tava, after couple of minutes when you see it puffing turn it and apply 1/2 tsp of oil on it and turn them again and apply oil on the other side too pressing the paratha with the back of a spoon


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Methi thepla looks yummy, Sri! Nice photos too. :)

FH said...

Looks delicious Sri! Great step by step instrucions which I love,you know that! As soon as I get some Methi, Theplas here I come:)

Thanks girl,have a great week.I will post a new one on Wednesday.

Lakshmi said...

looks so good and yummy.

Bong Mom said...

Looks grrrreat sri...is thepla same as paratha ?

Sri said...

Thankyou, Vani. :)

Hi Asha,always nice to see your comments.Thanks and do let me know how it came out.

Thankyou,Lakshmi.

Thankyou Sandeepa. Usually thepla and methi paratha names are used interchangably. Only difference that i can think of,is that for thepla,methi is mixed along with the flour while kneading and for methi paratha its stuffed in. I hope it helps. :}

Menu Today said...

Hi Sri,
Nice blog you have... Nice pic.. Thanks for sharing..

Sumitha said...

The pic looks so tempting!Looks lovely!Have to try them once I can get some fresh methi:)

Sri said...

Menu today,
Thankyou.

Sumi, I always visit your blog...to see if you entered a new post.Hey! don't stop posting.And a big thanks to you for introducing me to this blogging world. And do let me know how the thepla turn out.:)

TNL said...

I make this a lot, it is my husband's favorite weekend lunch item. Thanks for your comment on my blog, I have a recipe for Handvoh posted on my blog, just scroll all the way down and you'll see it. Try it and let me know...

Regards,Trupti

Anonymous said...

Great going there. First time here and I loveee your black forest cake.. It looks wicked !!!!!

You go girl.

Cheers,
Mythili

Sri said...

I have been wanting to make handvoh for a long time.Thanks for the recipe Trupti,will definitely make it n let you know.

Hi Mythili, welcome to my blog.Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Sri...Thepla lover...thats me...we make it often. I am not a dough guy. I can't roll a roti to save my life...~smile~..great pics...thanks

Krithika said...

Thepla looks delicious ! These are one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing

Sri said...

Thankyou Dilip. You could always use food processor for kneading dough and roti maker to roll the dough :)

Thankyou Krithika.

Gustad said...

love the methi paratha

Sri said...

Thankyou gustad

Vidwata said...

Hi Sri,

You have a new visitor, and a new cook here!

I tried making methi paratha using your recipe! The parathas were soft and delicious. I used wheat flour but am tempted to use the 50-50 you have suggested.

Thanks a tonne for sharing. Now I am going to make methi parathas this way only!!!

Will be tip toeing time and again to see your great recipes.

Unknown said...

Hi Sri, I m new to this site and my my u hav such wonderful recipes..ur methi paratha looks yummy..will surely try them. Can
i try using dried methi leaves as
we dont get fresh ones here in malaysia?
Once again.thank u for such wonderful recipes.

Unknown said...

iam going to make the methi thepla today.. yummy!!! will let you know how it turns out.. thanks for posting...

Unknown said...

Methi thepla was very delicious.. thanks for sharing the recipe