Churette means fold in Malayalam, thus churettappam, this is what we called it at home. It is a dish that we make for breakfast. This is one of those snacks which I prefer to cook when I feel like lazing around and don't want to spend much time in the kitchen!
You can also find a similar kind of dish made in Bengal, named Pati Shapta which I recently came across at Sandeepa's blog.
For this recipe you could make the batter using just Wheat flour or Maida (all purpose flour) or could also do 50-50 or in any ratio I think you got the point. For filling you could add sliced banana or plantain as well , I am not a big fan of banana so left that out. The quantity for filling could be altered and measured as per your need and taste.
1/4 cup Maida (all purpose flour)
1 1/2 cup Coconut scraped
1/2 cup Jaggery (you could also use sugar if you want to)
1 sliced Banana (optional)
Cardamom powder (optional)
- For filling mix together all the ingredients from For filling in a bowl
- For the batter mix in the flour and salt with some water to make it like dosa batter
- Heat tava, use little oil if not using nonstick pan and spread a ladle full of batter as you would for dosa
- Fold it towards the center from both sides
- Take it out on to a plate with seam side down, and there you have it friends... Churettappam!!!
Shaheen's Plantain Pinwheel
Couple of days back I tried Shaheen's Plantain Pinwheel. They were out of this world...it was really tasty. This comment is coming from the person who doesn't like banana or plaintain that much! Will definitely try again...Thanks for sharing this recipe Shaheen.